A Beef and Pork Meat Loaf
Calories: 381 kcalCarbohydrates: 21 gProtein: 36 gFat: 39 gSaturated Fat: 25 gCholesterol: 129 mgSodium: 579 mgFiber: 9 gSugar: 11 gVitamin A: 9.425 IUCalcium: 104 mgIron: 18 mg
- 2 cups minced onions
- 2 Tbs butter or oil
- 1 cup lightly pressed down bread crumbs
- 2 lb ground beef chuck
- 1 lb ground pork or sausage
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2 whole large eggs
- 1/2 cup beef bouillon
- 2/3 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 to 2 whole Garlic cloves puréed
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp arid oregano
- 1 oz bay leaf 3 bay leaves
- Sauté the onions in the butter or oil 5 minutes or so, until tender and translucent; raise heat and sauté a few minutes longer, until lightly browned. Scrape into the mixing bowl.
- Toss all the rest of the ingredients except for the bay leaves rather gently with the onions. Sauté a spoonful, and taste, carefully - if you are to serve the meat loaf cold, exaggerate a bit on the seasoning. Either form into a loaf shape on a buttered jelly-roll pan. Top with the bay leaves.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and set the meat loaf in the lower middle level.
- Bake about 1-1/2 hours.
- It is done when the juices run almost clear with a pale pink tinge, the meat is lightly springy to the touch. A meat thermometer should read 155°F - do not remove the thermometer until the meat rests before serving time, or the juices will burst out.
- Let cool for 30 minutes. Pour off fat and juices. Transfer the loaf to a board or platter. Serve hot with salsa , or tomato sauce.