Chicken Braised In Wine Or Coq Au Vin
Calories: 422.93 kcalCarbohydrates: 12.26 gProtein: 4.54 gFat: 31.76 gSaturated Fat: 13.85 gCholesterol: 47.28 mgSodium: 900.51 mgFiber: 1.62 gVitamin A: 11.297 IUCalcium: 35.58 mgIron: 1.48 mg
- A broiler or roasting chicken
- 3 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1/4 lb. minced salt pork
- 3/4 cup chopped mild onions or 1/2 cup peeled pearl onions
- 1 sliced carrot
- 3 minced shallots or scallions
- 1 peeled finely chopped garlic clove
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp minced parsley
- 1 tbsp fresh chervil or marjoram
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp brandy optional
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1/2 lb. sliced mushrooms
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Disjoint, wash and dry chicken.
- Use the back and neck for a stock pot.
- Melt in a large heavy skillet butter or olive oil.
- Add and brown lightly the salt pork, onions, carrot, shallots, garlic
- Push the vegetables aside.
- Brown the chicken in the fat.
- Add and stir in flour, parsley, chervil or marjoram, bay leaf, thyme, salt, pepper, brandy.
- Stir in red wine.
- Simmer the chicken covered over low heat until done, about 1 hour. The last 5 minutes of cooking add sliced mushrooms.
- Skim off excess fat. Season to taste
- Serve the chicken on a hot platter, with the sauce and vegetables poured over it.