Chicken Stew with Noodles
Calories: 531 kcalCarbohydrates: 91 gProtein: 39 gFat: 14 gSaturated Fat: 9 gCholesterol: 105 mgSodium: 884 mgFiber: 14 gSugar: 12 gVitamin A: 84.75 IUCalcium: 125 mgIron: 13 mg
- one 1-3/4-lb chicken
- 5 oz. 4 cups fresh leaf spinach
- 3 stalks celery coursely chopped
- 1 whole onion 1 large leek
- 1 slice fresh ginger root 1-inch slice, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp rice wine
- 1 - 2 tsp salt
- 2-1/4 cups water or chicken stock
- 8 oz Chinese egg noodles
- 7 oz shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- Blanch the washed chicken in boiling water for 4 - 5 minutes, removed, rinse with cold water, and drain.
- Wash the spinach and dry well. Remove the stalks and cut the leaves evenly into sections about 1-1/2 inches long.
- Place the chicken, celery, leek, and ginger in a pot, add the rice wine, salt and, water or stock.
- Bring to a boil quickly over a high heat, reduce the heat, and simmer for 1 hour, skimming frequently.
- Cook the noodles until until al dente. When the chicken is cooked, remove the ginger and leek, add the noodles and cook briefly.
- In a separate saucepan, cook the mushrooms in salted water for about 10 minutes. Add to the soup with their cooking liquid bout 15 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- Add the spinach to the soup 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time and continue to cook, making sure that the spinach remains crisp. Season with the soy sauce.