Coconut Lime-Crusted Tofu with Mango Orange Salsa
Calories: 480 kcalCarbohydrates: 35 gProtein: 29 gFat: 25 gSaturated Fat: 10 gSodium: 45 mgFiber: 11 g
- 1 each mango peeled and cubed
- 1 each red bell pepper finely diced
- ½ cup finely diced red onion
- 1 each jalapeno seeded and minced
- ½ cup Fresh cilantro chopped
- ¼ cup Chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 Tbsp. fresh orange juice
- 2/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut such as Ducoco brand, found in the Organic & Natural aisle
- ¼ cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 each lime zest grated
- 1 each egg white
- 2/3 to ¾ cup chilled seltzer water
- 2 14 oz. pkg extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1. Prepare the salsa. In a large bowl, combine all the salsa ingredients. If desired, use an immersion blender for a few seconds to purée a small portion of the salsa, then mix well. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- 2. Prepare the tofu. In a medium bowl, mix coconut, flour, cornstarch, salt, baking soda, and lime zest. In a small bowl, lightly beat together egg white and 2⁄3 cup seltzer water, then stir into dry ingredients until incorporated. Mixture should be like pancake batter; if it’s too thick, add additional seltzer water. Cut each block of tofu horizontally into 4 equal pieces. Pat pieces dry with a paper towel.
- 3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Dip each tofu piece in the batter and immediately add to the pan. Cook 2 to 4 pieces at a time, 2 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Transfer cooked pieces to a serving plate and tent to keep warm. Serve warm, topped with mango salsa, with additional salsa in a bowl on the side.
- Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, March - April 2011