Kosher Dill Pickles
Calories: 0.92 kcalCarbohydrates: 0.2 gProtein: 0.03 gFat: 0.02 gSaturated Fat: 0.01 gSodium: 1397.27 mgFiber: 0.03 gVitamin A: 0.1975 IUCalcium: 5.75 mgIron: 0.12 mg
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp white vinegar optional
- 4 to 5 cucumbers about 5 inches long
- 2 heads dill
- 1 clove garlic sliced
- 1 tsp mixed pickling spices
- In a saucepan bring the water to a boil. Add the salt and boil for 2 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. Then add the vinegar and let the mixture cool for several hours.
- Wash the cucumbers and dry with paper towels.
- Put 1 dill head in the bottom of a sterilized quart jar.
- Pack the cucumbers into the shoulder of the jar. Add the garlic and the pickling spices. Cover with the remaining dill. Add salt and water to within 1 inch of the top of the jar and keep partially covered for 2 to 3 days.
- When the jar starts to bubble, let it bubble a day or two, removing the scum daily.
- Then seal and store in a dry, cool place for about 3 weeks before using.
- Refrigerate after opening. The pickles should last several weeks after opening in the refrigerator, or indefinitely unopened.