`The Works` Muffins
Calories: 230 kcalCarbohydrates: 37 gProtein: 6 gFat: 8 gSaturated Fat: 1 gCholesterol: 20 mgSodium: 230 mgFiber: 6 g
- 3 cup Whole wheat flour
- 2 cup Bran cereal toasted
- 1 cup Flaxseed ground
- 1 cup Packed brown sugar
- 2½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 2 cup Buttermilk low fat, cultured
- 1 cup Water
- 2 each Large eggs beaten
- ½ cup Canola oil
- ½ cup Honey
- ¼ cup Light molasses
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two 12-cup muffin pans with paper liners and spray with vegetable spray.
- 2. In a large bowl, mix together whole wheat flour, bran cereal, ground flaxseed, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- 3. In a separate bowl, use a whisk or electric mixer to mix buttermilk, water, eggs, oil, honey, and molasses until smooth. Make a well in center of mixed dry ingredients and pour in buttermilk mixture. Use a wooden spoon to mix just until incorporated. Stir well, then add optional additions of your choice.
- 4. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 to 24 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool in pan 5 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Note: For the optional additions, be sure to use a total of 1 cup - for example, 1 cup raisins, or 1/2 cup dried cranberries plus 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds.
- Optional Additions: Apple, grated Dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, cherries, chopped apricots) Crystallized ginger, chopped Chopped walnuts Sliced almonds Pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, September - October 2007