Vegetable Veal Stew
Calories: 299 kcalCarbohydrates: 41 gProtein: 36 gFat: 18 gSaturated Fat: 14 gCholesterol: 80 mgSodium: 1218 mgFiber: 15 gSugar: 9 gVitamin A: 150.275 IUCalcium: 81 mgIron: 14 mg
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 ¼ lb veal stew meat already cut into cubes
- 14 ½ oz canned beef broth
- 14 ½ oz stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 24 oz frozen mixed stew vegetable
- 8 oz mushroom slices
- 1 envelope onion-soup mix two tablespoons
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp bottled minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- Heat the oil in a 4-1/2-quart Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Meanwhile, pour the flour and pepper into a large zipper-top plastic bag and shake to mix. Add the meat and toss to coat with flour. Then, shake off the excess flour, add the meat to the pot, and raise the heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring frequently, until it begins to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, skim the fat from the beef broth, then add the broth to the pot. Stir well to remove any brown bits from the bottom. Add the stewed tomatoes, water, stew vegetables, mushrooms (if using), soup mix, Worcestershire, ketchup, garlic, thyme, and basil.
- Raise the heat to high, cover the pot, and bring the soup to a boil. Boil to thicken the stew, uncovering often and stirring to prevent sticking, about 5 minutes. When thick, serve the stew.